Articolo scritto su Danger Days., My Chemical Romance's Danger Days: The Perfect Rock Album?

« Older   Newer »
Aida.
view post Posted on 23/9/2010, 14:18

Articolo in lingua:
SPOILER (click to view)
It is probably too early to say this, but based on little more than a really awesome trailer and a really long title, I'm going to declare that My Chemical Romance's Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys is the perfect rock-and-roll album.

Judging from what I've seen so far, Danger Days is both ambitious and insane, often at the same time. For proof of this, watch the trailer, which features an elaborately leotarded dude roller-skating down an abandoned stretch of California highway, voice-over work from someone named "Dr. Death Defying," a beat-up Trans Am, explosions, gratuitous use of DayGlo leather jackets (and bandanas) and the guys in My Chem choking out dudes in Dracula masks with Nintendo Power Gloves. And that's just in the 70 seconds.

Simply put, it is insane, a complete reimagining of MCR's entire aesthetic, which, up until this point, had involved mainly black clothing and face paint and was overwhelmingly morose. On Danger Days, they've tossed all that melodrama out the window (of a speeding Trans Am), embracing instead a delightfully brash, downright silly new spirit, one that recalls stuff like "Mad Max," the films of John Carpenter, pulpy, post-apocalyptic zombie flicks, the sartorial splendor of Evel Knievel and even, if one were to get heady about it, Michelangelo Antonioni's "Zabriskie Point."

But regardless of the pedigree of their influences (or lack thereof), the tongue, it would seem, is firmly planted in the cheek this time around, something that — for a band with a reputation as serious as My Chem's — is fairly new, not to mention fairly risky, considering a large portion of what has made them so appealing to their fanbase up to this point has pretty much been the opposite of all that. MCR have always explored the heavier themes — death and loss and sadness and ultimate salvation, to name just a few — and because of that, they've maintained a somewhat spiritual connection with their fans. They are the band whose songs have saved many a teenage life, after all. And now, they are practically cartoon characters — the Fabulous Killjoys, they call themselves — battling schlocky monsters and blasting NES Zappers in the desert. It's not hard to see why this new incarnation might alienate some or, at the very least, take some getting used to.

it is definitely ambitious, and, if the concept really is what I just explained, it ties in rather nicely to a comment Way made last year about the new album being a celebration of life as "an American rock-and-roll band" — only, in this case, they're playing an American rock-and-roll band in the dystopian, bombed-out future. Strangely, it works pretty well.

If you're not excited for Danger Days, you're probably not a rock-and-roll fan. It is everything you could ask for in a major-label rock album — ambitious and crazy and downright inspiring in its own decidedly weird way — from a band that is fast becoming truly great. Will it all work? Will MCR's fans come along for the ride? That's just part of what makes this whole process so exciting.

Traduzione :

Probabilmente è troppo presto per dirlo, ma sulla base di poco più di un trailer davvero impressionante e un titolo molto lungo, ho intenzione di dichiarare che il My Chemical Romance Danger days: è il perfetto rock- and-roll album.

A giudicare da quello che ho visto finora, Danger days è tanto ambizioso e folle, spesso a allo stesso tempo. Per la prova di questo, guarda il trailer, che dispone di un elaborato leotarded dude pattinaggio a rotelle lungo un tratto abbandonato della strada statale della California, voice-over di lavoro da qualcuno di nome "Dr. Death Defying", esplosioni, gratuito uso di giacche di pelle DayGlo (e bandane) e i ragazzi in soffocamento da tizi in maschere Dracula con Nintendo. E questo è solo in 70 secondi.

In poche parole, è folle, un reimagining completa di estetica tutta MCR, che, fino a questo punto, aveva coinvolto principalmente abbigliamento nero e vernice viso imbronciato e fu schiacciante. In danger days, hanno gettato tutto quel melodramma fuori dalla finestra , abbracciando uno deliziosamente sfacciato, addirittura sciocco spirito nuovo, che ricorda cose come "Mad Max", il film di John Carpenter, polposo , Flicks zombie post-apocalittico, lo splendore di Evel Knievel sartoriale e persino, se si dovesse arrivare inebriante su di esso, di Michelangelo Antonioni "Zabriskie Point".

Ma a prescindere dal pedigree di loro influenze (o mancanza), la lingua, a quanto pare, è saldamente piantata nella guancia questa volta, qualcosa che - per una band con una reputazione così grave come My Chem - è abbastanza nuovo, per non parlare abbastanza rischioso, considerando una gran parte di ciò che li ha resi così attraente per i loro fan fino a questo punto è stato praticamente l'opposto di tutto questo. MCR hanno sempre esplorato i temi più pesante - la morte e la perdita e la tristezza e la salvezza definitiva, per citarne solo alcuni - e per questo, hanno mantenuto un legame spirituale con un po 'i loro fan. Sono la band le cui canzoni hanno salvato molte vite di adolescenti, dopo tutto. Ed ora, sono praticamente personaggi dei cartoni animati - i guastafeste , si chiamano - combattendo mostri e brillamento schlocky zapper NES nel deserto. Non è difficile capire perché questa nuova incarnazione potrebbe alienare alcuni o, quanto meno, prendere tempo per abituarcisi.

L'album si chiama Giorni di Pericolo: Le vite vere dei favolosi guastafeste, per gridare forte. Se il concetto è proprio quello che ho appena spiegato, è collegata piuttosto bene a un modo commento fatto l'anno scorso sul nuovo album è una celebrazione della vita come "un americano rock-and-roll band "- solo, in questo caso, stanno giocando una band rock-and-roll in distopica, il futuro bombardate. Stranamente, funziona piuttosto bene.

Ma non credo sia così tanto di una forzatura dire che, se non siete eccitati per i giorni di pericolo, probabilmente non sei un fan rock-and-roll. E 'tutto quello che si può chiedere ad un album di rock major - ambizioso e folle e decisamente stimolante nel suo proprio modo decisamente strano - da una band che sta rapidamente diventando veramente grande.

It's been nearly three years in the making, and during that time, it's been called a "no-concept" record, a down-and-dirty punk album, a "love letter to rock and roll" and, most recently, a fast-and-loose celebration of the Jersey Shore and "that era when heavy metal was yet to become hair rock."
fonte: Qui

*Elfen*
view post Posted on 23/9/2010, 14:22

L'avevo letto,sto tizio mi sta troppo simpatico!!!

Aida.
view post Posted on 23/9/2010, 14:33

Infatti. tale giornalista mi piace. sisi.

2 replies since 23/9/2010, 14:18   17 views